Sunday, January 22, 2012

From The Vaults: I Don't Wanna Live in the Slums No More (originally posted September 2011)

I felt compelled to post this awesome vid. It features a rock band called Real Problems based in Vancouver, Canada.  The sound is sorta informed by groups like The Stooges, Mc5, The Rationals, Ramones, Forgotten Rebels, Hellacopters, and a buncha others. At least that's what I hear in it. The lead singer/guitarist, Mickey Delaney, is one of my good friends. So far as I know, Real Problems have released an EP called 'Scum City Girls', and an album is coming soon. 'Scum City Girls' is cool....but I wasn't like all "holy fuck, man." Then THIS, this vid I saw like yesterday....and I was like "holy fuck, man!" You know? It was like.. they arrived or something. Sure, it is 'Johnny Three Chords' and simple, but it's rockin' and infectious. It was in my head at work today. You know shit is good when it clings to your head like that. I like the bits of humor in the vid too.

Real Problems seem to stay true to the original spirit of punk, even though Mickey himself said very recently he hates punk. I don't think he hates any legendary music that came from the punk movement, rather I think he means he hates it as some contrived sort of thing or label that poses as some grand looming tower of social idealism, like as if any old loser can get a mohawk and piece of shit guitar and bitch about something stupid and think it's cool and call it 'punk'. To quote Mickey- "I'm in the scene and I hate it. There can be some really good music, but the very idea of punk turns me off. It's all such a load of shit. Really it's just a bunch of socially retarded losers with guitars, some phoney ideals and a chip on their shoulder." And he said further: "It's for man-children. Ask any girl that's ever dated a punk rocker."  I hope if Mickey sees this (he technically has the link to this blog!) I hope he likes this little thingy I wrote, otherwise I guess he can punch me in the stomach or something the next time he sees me. Then I'll go "oof!" like some loser. 


Blog Archive