Monday, February 4, 2013

Why Super Bowl XLVII Was One Of The Best Ever


Or, at least one of the best I've seen. But first I'm not going to pretend that I'm a fanatic, because I'm not. You won't catch me painting my face and attending every game 'my team' plays and screaming like an idiot nonstop with the big foam finger pointing skyward. I don't follow football religiously. What I WILL say is that it is fun to watch and nice to catch here and there. It's probably one of the more exciting sports to watch in my opinion. "Going to catch to Super Bowl tonight?" I asked some random people and even friends. Most expressed genuine disinterest. Anyhow, I caught it, and I think it was really cool for these reasons:

*It was first time New Orleans hosted a game since Hurricane Katrina devastation. The city has rebuilt a lot, and spirit is alive on the streets there. It's just a cool place to host the game too.

*Sibling rivalry! The coaches for both teams were brothers Jim and John Harbaugh.

*The Ravens' Jacoby Jones and his amazing 108 yard dash across the field through a mass of bodies to freedom and the touchdown line. This was a record breaker for the longest kickoff return in NFL postseason history. He also rushed the ball a total of 290 yards breaking another record for the most in a Super Bowl game.

*Other records were broken in the game, for example the game itself was the longest running Super Bowl clocking in at 4 hrs 14 mins.

*The power outage (which contributed to the record above...ha). This was an interesting twist of events and gave both teams time to take a breather for a bit more than half an hour. I was wondering if terrorists were attacking, which woulda been quite dramatic, but that was not the case.

*The 49ers comeback after the power outage. They only had 6 points and Baltimore had a far lead. By the end of the game, the score was so close either team could have just as easily won. The suspense was great. Final score was Ravens 34, 49ers 31. Only THREE points needed for a tie. I think San Fran should still pat themselves on the back despite losing because they put up such a good fight.